Monday, July 30, 2018

What was he thinking?

I saw a discussion on a board about UTH and this is just my thoughts on it.


The talk was about the confrontation at the end of UTH where Jason tells Batman to make a choice about who lives and Jason cries.

Personally I think Jason cries because he knew Bruce wasn't going to pick him. Jason set this whole thing up to see what was more important to Bruce. The kid he loss or the mission (not killing Joker.) Would Bruce be willing to kill Joker? Jason? Would he call Jason's bluff to see if he'd kill Joker?

But just like Jason knows Joker (remember the secret he knew that made Joker stop smiling?) He knows Batman. Jason had to see it through but he knew Bruce wouldn't decide to kill Joker to protect him. He probably didn't think Bruce would kill him but the message was still "if you stop me you'll have to hurt me and I don't expect to live through this night." But not killing Joker means Bruce doesn't care enough about Jason after all.

I think the movie highlighted his possible suicidal desires better but I don't think that's why he cried in the comics.

No comments:

Post a Comment