Monday, April 8, 2019

Customizing with the TBLeague 1/12 Figures

It turns out there might be an easier way to customize 1/12 if you know how to sew.


I was surprised when I first heard about these figures. They are seamless rubbery bodies over metal joints. Which means the pain of joint breakage won't be the problem it's been in line with similar scale like DCC, Mattels' Multiverse, etc. There are extra sets of hands and feet along with a head with rooted hair but I think the biggest appeal of this figure is that you can put on heads from different lines for custom pieces. Although that can be an extremely limited range if you want to match the skin tone. Plus you might not want to shell out so much money to get a bunch of these. (I got a great deal but I still don't want to spend a lot.)

The nude figure comes with underwear, a bra, a hair band and coverings to hide the wrists/ankles making me think this was intended to test the waters for customizers. Personally I'd think it would be great if they expanded the line to include different skin tones, heights and male figures. The range on styles seems to be medium bust/large bust and tanned skin/light skin. I have a tanned version but it looks pretty pale to me. Sadly the range in movement isn't perfect as I can't get it into an arms folded in front of the chest pose. I never had a figure like this before so I can't speak for how it holds up. I do worry that the metal will break the skin when the figure has the joints bent. 

I started seeing how well custom clothes will work. Since I don't have any patterns for something this small I'm pretty much winging it. I should note for anyone that wants to sew something that you should be careful as some fabrics can stain. I haven't encountered that problem yet but I'm a little cautious about it. I do have fabric that is shedding a little but I think that can be washed off. 

Anyway I'm working on my Outlaws Artemis costume. Sadly this figure is very short compared to the Wonder Woman Artemis from Mattel. I'm hoping that the boots will bring the height up enough when I work on them. This is admittedly a bit messy since I'm not sure how tight to make the outfit yet. Unlike something like Mezco One: 12 I want to see if I could take the costume off afterward to work on other customs. 




If this works out well I have a number of ideas I could do. Which is why I'm hoping for a male figure since there's a bunch of concepts that might work well.

No comments:

Post a Comment