Saturday, April 20, 2019

Teen Titans #28-29/Deathstroke #42

I was uncertain if I wanted to pick up this crossover since I didn't like the Lazarus Contract or Deathstroke. But this story seems to be the one to kick off a big shift in the team dynamic. It might help that another (third) series isn't roped along this time.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Djinn went off with Damian to help him heal and apparently Damian told her about his fight with Jason. Which I think is supposed to be sweet, I just can't see it that way. I'm sorry but I still feel creeped out that this four thousand year old character is a love interest for a teen much less in a love triangle with two teens. Otherwise she seems like an intriguing character even if she does remind me a little too much of Starfire. Anyway I'm not caught up on everything since I don't get why Damian is having nightmares about Slade now. Is it because he never got answers about the dad mislead?

I liked that Wallance found the prison by thinking ahead because he knows Deathstroke is dangerous. He seems to be ahead of the curve while Damian and Emiko are being played by Slade. I like that he's the moral center of the group even if he doesn't know what to do with the information he has.

While I don't care for Slade or how much he's hyped up (I didn't mind it so much during this arc because TT is in over their heads) I do like his kids. At least most of the time. Joey (Jericho) was the one that sold Slade out and isn't really sure why. Is it because he's jealous of the regard his dad has for Robin or was it to give his dad "exercise" after being locked up? He doesn't think Slade will hurt the kids but still checks up to make sure only to get his offer brushed off. Slade does know Joey gave up the information but he doesn't seem to care that much.

Honestly I think I might check Deathstroke out after this arc since there seems to be seeds that Joey will take up the mantle. I recall seeing somewhere--probably during the Lazaous Contract--that he sees a lot of his dad in himself. Slade also mentions how much sons mean to their fathers and how children become their parents. I think that however Slade's "death" happens it's not just to motivate Damian but also Joey.

The crossover is such an improvement from the Lazarus Contract, the story flow is so much smoother. I think that's partly because there's less writers involved and less characters to handle. To Priest's credit it looks like he's changed how he's written Damian. Whether that's because he listened to readers when he asked for their opinions or if the storyline relies on Damian being more conflicted I don't know. Nevertheless it works much better since Damian isn't just acting like a brat his team shouldn't be listening to. While it is still a bit annoying that Damian is able to capture Slade it only happened because Slade was distracted or Slade let it happen. That depends on whether Slade realized how badly he damaged Roundhouses' suit.

However it came about Slade makes it clear that he's still in the prison is because he's sticking around for a reason. His idea to "fix" Damian is to get him to kill Slade. An idea that's already present when Damian gives his team the run down of his plan to take on Deathstroke. He thinks Kid Flash saving Slade was a mistake since Slade is still killing people.

Slade is really good at being the devil on Damians' shoulder he: Tells him to let innocent civilians die. Encouraging him to hit the gas main to kill a man that was turning himself in. It's still unclear at the end if Kid Flash was given the order by Robin to save Blackrock or not. I'm thrilled this wasn't the role that was given to Jason when he was briefly the "mentor" because it doesn't suit him. Slade on the other hand is the perfect fit even if it is creepy to see him trying to corrupt minors. He even does his mind games with Emiko.

While I'm kind of iffy on the love triangle I did think that how Crush was written was handled well. Roundhouse finds out she's gay, it's not a big deal for either of them and he encourages her to let Djinn know. It was very respectfully done and even the hints of jealousy Crush has weren't overboard.

I've idly been considering who the traitor is although I haven't read enough of the series to really ponder it properly. The only one that's safe (unless he's been brainwashed) is Damian. He's seen in bed waking up as the prisoners are being released. I don't really know how Crush could benefit from working with the bad guys especially if they murdered her adopted parents. At least that's what I heard. So far Crush is one of the ones I suspect the least, tied with Kid Flash. While Kid Flash might not want the prison to remain I don't think he'd be dumb enough to release them. Plus I think the traitor is supposed to work with the Other making the prison break more calculated.

Djinn seems a little TOO obvious to be the traitor but if she was I think that her interest in Damian is purely mission based as he would be her main target. Roundhouse could be the traitor if he's acting in order to keep his mom safe or to keep himself together. Much like Djinn it would be easy for him to sneak into the prison even though only three members are supposed to know about it. She is also the one that manages to rupture the gas main. Was that an accident?

Red Arrow comes out looking the most suspicious to me. From what little I've seen her interest in the Other seems curious. She's the direct comparison to Damian on the team and is stressing that she's the one he's trusted with his secrets. Despite knowing what game Slade is playing with Damian she still repeats his words about all kids turning into the parents. Is that because of guilt? She is distrustful of Djinn because of her power or because she can't plan around it? It also felt like she made Damian suspect Jason was the traitor, something that resulted in Damian losing his only extra help outside the team. If her or Kid Flash are the traitor it seems like there would have to be more going on. Mind control or something.

I don't think we will get answers for another arc or so. We might get other answers though. Damian has already shown some misjudgment in the annual (maybe in other issues I haven't read yet) and this arc is highlighting how he's allowing himself to handle things. It looks like he's not going to be able to deal with things on his own for much longer.



Say What?: Does anyone else find it weird that two Robins have immortal centuries old love interests? I mostly bring this up because of the different power levels. Djinn claims her magic can't heal Damian up fast, Essence on the other hand was able to save a burnt Roy when he was on the brink of death. Roy did have to regain his strength before he left the hospital though.

Lazarus Contract is still canon? I thought history changed again.

I did some looking around online after Kid Flash mentions Tanya Spears/Power Girl. He thinks she killed herself but it looks like she was trying to contact the original Power Girl and it just seems like she's lost.

Teen Titans fans might get the shout out with Slade's friends at the barber shop: Marv, George and Len.

Damian starts to call Red Arrow when Slade starts to mess with his head. It seems like he was starting to doubt he could handle it.

Slade claims that Damian didn't think someone would escape by breaking their arm? And that the dampening field somehow doesn't effect him? Why wouldn't someone with Damian's upbringing think of that stuff?

I will give Glass and Priest credit for mentioning old canon like the nod to Damian killing Morgan Ducard.



Questions Asked?: Why does Slade think magic is useless and unreliable?

Was Blackrock going to blow himself up with the bomb?

No comments:

Post a Comment