Friday, May 15, 2020

DC Solicits for August 2020

We finally got some new solicits and there's definitely more to talk about.



Wonder Woman: I don't like the idea of making Max Lord a Wonder Woman villain. I get why after OMAC Project/Blackest Night but they never had the history to make the concept work for me. And when she has a villain like Dr. Psycho someone with lesser mind control abilities seems redundant. Is he going to be someone that switches back and forth on who's side he's on depending on the situation? It doesn't look like it given the descriptions of him in the solicits like "evil jerk." Why is he compelling in this role then? At least when they were setting him up as a JLI villain it made sense. Honestly he works far better as foil for Booster Gold and the JLI than Diana.


Harley Quinn: I was curious when I saw it listed as the final issue since the character is one of the best sellers for the company. I saw some talk about this being the writers' last issue but I think it's just going to be relaunched with a new writer. But out of all the titles ending this is the most surprising of the bunch.


AQUAMAN #62
written by JORDAN CLARK
art by MARCO SANTUCCI
cover by ROBSON ROCHA
variant cover by TYLER KIRKHAM
In order to save baby Andy, Jackson Hyde made a deal with the devil—his father, Black Manta! Now Jackson must find a way into Xebel while everyone celebrates Mera’s surprise nuptials. What he finds there, however, will be darker and deadlier than he ever imagined. Welcome writer Jordan Clark (Bitch Planet Triple Feature) for the start of this two-part adventure!
ON SALE 08.18.20
$3.99 US | 32 PAGES

I know it's not canon anymore but getting Black Manta to help save an Aquababy? That might not be the best idea.


TEEN TITANS #44
written by ROBBIE THOMPSON
art by JAVIER FERNANDEZ
cover by BERNARD CHANG
variant cover by KHARY RANDOLPH
In this issue, Crush, Roundhouse, Kid Flash, and Red Arrow chase down Robin, who’s on the hunt for villains he thinks must pay the ultimate price for their crimes. With Batman also on the case, can the Teen Titans get to Damian Wayne before his father does?
ON SALE 08.18.20
$3.99 US | 32 PAGES

The Annual is also being released this month, which is great since I thought it was cancelled. I might get this issue depending on what happens in that. It sounds like Damian is supposed to give up the Robin mantle which is even more interesting considering the potential identity retirement of another Robin in this months' solicits.


RED HOOD: OUTLAW #48
written by SCOTT LOBDELL
art by BRETT BOOTH and DANNY MIKI
cover by DAN MORA
variant cover by PHILIP TAN
In the aftermath of the war between Batman and The Joker, Jason Todd has a few decisions to make. Does Gotham City—or the world at large—really need the Red Hood? If Jason contemplates retiring the Red Hood mask altogether, what does that mean for Artemis and Bizarro? Can the Outlaws continue to exist without their leader? A family reunion with Ric Grayson doesn’t go as planned as he brought along his new friend: Punchline!
FC | ON SALE 08.25.20
$3.99 US | 32 PAGES

We have confirmation that Lobdell is leaving. Since this was my anchor title in the DCU I might not be reading any DC books for awhile although I will be glancing at solicits. I just don't trust many bat writers after being so disappointed with their use of Jason Todd. This solicit highlights my concerns regarding what will happen with Artemis and Bizarro. Jason's teammates usually go on to their own titles or get folded back into the franchises they originated in. Sadly this usually means their connection to Jason is downplayed or ignored. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried what was going to happen to all these characters after #50.

Does this take place after Joker War? If so why is Dick still working with Punchline? Does this title really need a tie in to an event? Why does Dick/Ric look like Bucky? Is that intentional?


BOOSTER GOLD: FUTURE LOST HC
written by DAN JURGENS and others
art by DAN JURGENS and others
new cover by DAN JURGENS and NORM RAPMUND
The original solo series for Booster Gold, self-serving hero from the future, concludes with this collection of Dan Jurgens’s formative mid-’80s stories! Booster finds himself a wanted man, and then lands in the polychromatic sights of the Rainbow Raider! Later, Superman gets in the middle of a battle between Booster Gold and…Booster Gold? Collects Booster Gold #13-25, pages from Millennium #3-6 and #7, Action Comics #594, Secret Origins #35, and more.
ON SALE 09.01.20
$39.99 US | 400 PAGES

Instant order for me but I wished they actually bring back a Booster Gold title or had him in a series that I wanted to read him in. I'm curious what that "and more" refers to. Maybe that tie in issue of Action Comics but honestly I'd be happy if they left it out since the real Booster is barely in it.




The Finish Line story in Flash looks good because Max, Bart, Jay and Jesse are all back, though Wally is still missing. I stopped reading Snyder titles awhile back because I started to find them dull, so despite the Death Metal title featuring Diana I'm going to pass. I don't know if Three Jokers ties into some seriously dark rumors I heard, but I don't want to read it after seeing the previous attempts to put Barbara in a book with Jason.

I'm curious where the Dceased universe is going since it just seems to get worse but I have no plans on getting that either. After all the horrible rumors and stories I heard about things behind the scenes I'll probably drop most of DC after RHATO until the Daughter of Diana and Amazon Historia books come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment