Saturday, October 6, 2018

Will Johns be able to pull it off?

I've been thinking about the Three Jokers mini series for awhile, ever since it was first announced and trying to think how I feel about it. Granted there's only so much you can judge a book if you haven't read it yet but still there's a lot to consider.


Johns as a writer has his good and bad moments. He's done great things for some characters and has told some upbeat stories. Then there's times like Infinite Crisis when he has characters butchered. He co-wrote the first two arcs of the second Booster Gold series which was, for the most part, a huge plus in my book. Batman appeared in that series and had a very heartfelt role which gives me some hope.

His Jason take was seen in Teen Titans for an issue and was something of a mixed bag. I believe he was the only writer that hinted (at the time) that Jason's life could be better if he had friends. But he got Jason's TT really wrong and had the nonsensical bit with Jason dressing up as Robin even though he moved past the role. Jason even admitted that to Tim when he asked if Jason want the title back.

With Three Jokers I don't like how the three bat leads are supposed to show how someone is healed right or wrong though. It seems like something that would be obvious with most writers choosing who would fill what role. That said I do trust Johns FAR more than most current bat writers. He was also the one that came up with the members of the Dark Trinity.

Is he riding the coattails of Moore too much lately? It kind of feels like that but at the same time I have enjoyed Doomsday Clock. Although I found the cursing of some little girls in one issue pretty ridiculous and thought it was trying too hard. Which makes me wonder who's going to be cursing in Three Jokers and what their say. I do worry about the answer because nearly everyone seems to think one character has a potty mouth just because of where he grew up.

It does feel wrong that his take will be a deeper and more lasting take on Jason Todd since Lobdell has done such a great job on the character.

The costume change is curious, there's no bat symbol yet Jason has an "R" buckle and more Robin like look? Is it just supposed to be symbolism for Jason encountering the trauma of his death? Possibly. For now I'm on the fence but time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment