Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Red Hood Redesign By Pete Woods

I've been waiting to get a better look at this. DC Nation finally gives attention to this title to show the design process.

SPOILERS AHEAD if you haven't seen solicits

One of the rules of thumbs I've heard that's so true is that if it's not broken don't try to fix it. Woods is strictly redesigning for story purposes though and acknowledges how nice the iconic Outlaws style is for Red Hood. I'm so impressed with his process and being able to see how thoughtful it was.


It's truly hard to keep looks connected enough that you recognize the character but different enough to show a real change. The concept was less armor, no tech, no bat association, no guns and the crowbar. 

Woods mentions the tire iron being part of the design and why he thought it would be cool to include it in a later page. It's something Jason used when he met Batman. If he was armed with the tire iron and crowbar it would be a nice meta statement of beginning and end of his time as Batman' s partner, Robin. He'd be using those tools as his weapons of choice right after ending his time working with Bruce. It is curious that he's not using guns.


The hair style isn't mentioned much, I wonder if there's more of a reason for the choice. It seems like Jason just wanted to create a new him but is it because he thinks it looks tougher? All of these designs are good but not all of them fit Jason. Of Round 2 A and B seem like they'd be henchmen looks. Woods starts experimenting with exposed sections of arms here. The facial mask from the final is brought into C and D. There's been some toying with the color to see how much red should be incorporated.

The helmet is taken away to show more of Jason's face in order to see his expression. Which might be gone by the time it's finalized. I say might because Red Hood still manages to have some emotion shine through in some art despite the hood like UTH. The sawed off screws feels very home made and dangerous. I do like that they decided to make him more street level but decided against the screws.


I appreciate the level of consideration but I'm not feeling most of these chest emblems. Partly because I don't think Jason needs one, then again a lack of one leaves empty space that could throw the look off. Some of this reminds me of Arkham Knight. I do find the mask logo to be a nice change. I've seen it called a skull but it doesn't look like one to me. It kind of reminds me of the animated Batman series Nightwing mask.

The Han Solo stripes were a nice subtle touch to bring color in and break up the darker tones. C is the look Woods tweaks into the final look. Interesting to note Jason hiding in shadow since in an earlier one his expression was mentioned. Maybe the mask was changed because Jason wanted to hide his feelings behind it?


Jason with a hockey mask huh? This will apparently work as a happy middle ground for hiding him and seeing him emote. I'm not going to argue that point since the actual content in the comic has yet to be released. I prefer the more understated belt and the splashes of red in the final. It's the right amount of color without being too much (which I felt was an issue with Burnside Batgirl.) The katana might be a nod to his time with the All Caste but it also seems to be Lobdell teasing the Futures End issue.

On page 12 (page 1 of the images I have posted) Woods talked about how Jason is purposely wearing less body armor. That he might have a death wish. All of this makes the design work for me in ways the concept of the Burnside Batgirl costume didn't. I don't see this as a long term costume but I like it for what it is. It tells a story, is still recognizable as Red Hood and looks appealing enough.

2 comments:

  1. I think your blog ate my comment so am just gonna make a new one.

    I guess part of the negative reactions has to do with taking in the design without its context and story purpose. Personally I love it and would even say that it edges out the last one in one or two aspects. I prefer this color scheme to the last one. I love the thought going into making it thanks to these cool pages from DC Nation; the process of making choices to fit the overall theme is so meticulous in this instance. Finally I love the discussion on this costume so far. All that's left is seeing it in action.

    I'm with you on the logo. Still it not being a bat anymore makes it a step up. I also lament the hair although it makes sense that he'd shave it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been following too many reactions. I've mostly been seeing negative comments towards the direction rather than the costume.

      I think it's good and works with the context of the story we are given. Where Burnside Batgirl went strictly with the aesthetic they wanted without addressing the lack of protection Jason is purposely acting recklessly. I think it will look amazing in action and coming out of the shadows.

      I was never against the bat symbol but I like the new one. It at least makes a statement in his change without being too on the nose like the other drafts. I liked the Soy hair and will miss it.

      Delete