Saturday, September 28, 2019

Short Review: Flash Forward #1

Some of my comics were delayed but they finally came in the mail.

SPOILERS AHEAD

I avoided all spoilers, I have no idea if anyone likes this issue or not. Does it fit perfectly with canon? Not really, at least not the part with Roy. A big reason for Wally losing control and freaking out in HIC was because he thought he was alone. While I love Wally and Roy hanging out it seems like an odd change. (Granted I'd be happy with it all being retconned.) It does drive home his guilt since one of the victims was one of his friends.

I don't care if the puddin bit goes against what Harley told Booster but I thought they weren't supposed to know who the other patients were? Well this just makes Sanctuary seem more put together than it was.

Booths's style usually isn't my cup of tea but I'm really enjoying his work here. The colors Guerrero uses and the ink Rapmund does really compliment the art.

While we haven't seen the main Rogues react I loved seeing the lesser known edgier ones from the Johns run. Double Down, Murmur, Tarpit and even Girder. I never felt one way or another about most of them (I don't care for Girder) but it was an honest joy to see them in this. The voices of every one felt spot on, for awhile I felt like I was reading something out of my Johns Flash TPBs.

Wally doesn't excuse his actions and his frame job in HIC is explained as Wally not being in his right mind at the time. Which is the best way to handle it short of a full retcon. The scene with Linda was the most heartbreaking part. I don't quite agree with her POV that releasing the confessionals was Wally trying to make amends. I don't think he had the right to do that but this story has to work with what it was given from HIC.

I worried that Tempus Fuginaut might not mesh with the redemption tale of Wally West but it does. I really enjoyed this issue, everything gels nicely together. Despite Wally being in a bad place, rejecting help and being surrounded by people that hate him this never felt grim. There's still a lot of hope, the only downside is having to deal with the nonsense from HIC which is hard to rationalize.

No comments:

Post a Comment