Thursday, October 1, 2020

Short Review: Red Hood (and the) Outlaw(s) #48 Vol. 2

I haven't been reviewing issues for awhile, partly because of computer problems, but I decided to review this one out of order. Why? Well it's crammed into the last Outlaws arc so order really doesn't matter.

SPOILERS AHEAD 

The opening really drives home how evasive this tie in was by literally driving through the story it breaks the flow of. Given what I know about how DC has been handling things behind the scenes it further annoys me to see an event I have no interest in forced upon this title. I'm confused of the placement of this in the timeline too.

As nice as the flashback with Jason and Bruce was it pretty much confirmed my fears that we'll never see an actual resolution to the lingering threads from #25. DC never lets Bruce face the consequences of his actions, something that was already seen when Dick regained his memories and Bruces' behavior during that time was shrugged off. Honestly I would be fine if we just have a scene with Bruce revealing that he figured out the truth, apologizes and promises to work towards earning back Jason's trust. That would at least be something. But back to the flashback it's self, I'm surprised Ma Gunn would allow Bruce Wayne into her place. She brushed off his attempt to help her post-Crisis and has some things inside she'd want to keep out of sight.

Jason is restrained when dealing with Jokers' men, at least until he feels he can uses explosives. Which brings up the problem with the obviously rushed nature of the last few issues that this tie in is only making worse. People knowing things they shouldn't just to speed up the pace. Punchline somehow knows Jason rigged explosives that are going to go off soon. Which so happens to work for her plans. I can buy Joker and her finding out about Jason's past with Duela but not so much the explosives.

The big hyped fight between Dick and Jason--the one that Dick later brags about kicking Jason's ass--wasn't that long. Jason wasn't even doing bad, and he even comments about the other person being sloppy due to brainwashing. I'm glad Punchline didn't factor much although I wish Jason got a chance to hit her back. I like how he didn't give a damn who she was, half of the things she does seems to be explaining her name anyway. Jason just beat her to the punch.

I'm not reading any Joker War books (I've seen some scans) so I'm not sure why Jason has no real reaction to villains knowing their identities. Sure it came up in DOTF but after the fallout for that fizzled out no one really brought it up again. I do like how Jason instantly knew what it sounded like to beat someone with a crowbar and how that made him panic. Duela thanking him for trying to save her was oddly sweet given their past. The plan Joker put in place makes Jason think it's his fault for her dying while the real Duela is switched out. 

While the speedy nature of this issue was a problem I did enjoy how Jason was written. 



Did You Notice?: Jason's anti-Batman shirt. I could totally see that as something Gunn gave him after Batman brought Jason to her home. It new clothes so he doesn't really care.

No comments:

Post a Comment