Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Blue and Gold

This was the book I was looking forward to the most (the long delay in my books arriving took away a lot of the interest I held in the other two titles I got.) After Booster was dragged through HIC and apparently shipped with the woman that tried to murder him seeing Jurgens back is definitely fantastic.

Spoilers Ahead for everything except the last two issue.


Let me get this out of the way before I get into the book itself : I think DC's 'everything is canon' approach sounds lazy and confusing. I haven't been following so I can't speak for execution across the board but does this mean Ted did die or remembers dying? What about Booster being a Time Master? I know Rip is showing up but this is already a headache considering characterization.

I will say that I prefer Jurgens Ted Kord over DeMatteis/Giffins' version especially the grating manchild they wrote in their BG run. The problem with Blue and Gold as a team is that in most cases one (usually Booster) gets their character development thrown under the bus for the others benefit and supposed comedy. That said Ted still can't balance his heroics and his job. Although his heart problem is solved.

I'm ecstatic that Trixie returned and partly annoyed/amused at her meeting the guys. For some reason Ted exclaims her name instead of Booster. Last time I saw them exchange lines Trixie told Ted and the JL off for their treatment of Booster. Ted threatened Booster during the Millennium event by implying they'd give him to Wonder Woman (who accidentally destroyed a Manhunter) then acted like Booster was immature for running away from them. Trixie didn't put up with his BS. and I always got the impression that if she was around for JLI all the schemes Ted roped Booster into would never happen.

The Theresa not Trixie thing reminds me of her aunt objecting to her nickname but like Booster she'll always be Trixie to me. I love her support of the guys and that for a change we don't have a one sided fanbase that hate the heroes 24/7. They still have their supporters which is actually a plot element. The JL sans maybe Batman (who says nothing though he likely still knows the truth) are jackasses. Hippolytra really has no right to judge Booster. This is a woman who set Artemis up to die to save her daughter. 

The worst part for me is Booster's obsession with the limelight which feels like a huge step back. I keep expecting a twist but it's increasingly frustrating to read. Especially when Ted is repeatedly respected and played up as the competent one that needs to save Booster. I know Jurgens likes going back to Boosters' roots but I'm still waiting for his character development to return, even his skill as a fighter.

Amusingly the villain seems to respect them more than the JL. I'm curious how Rip and Jaime fit in but more than anything I want Booster to return to his pre-new 52 self.

No comments:

Post a Comment