Tuesday, April 17, 2018

DC Solicits

I still keep hoping for some big announcement that interests me. There titles I'm interested in but overall nothing new I'm excited over.

SPOILERS AHEAD

CATWOMAN #1
written by JOELLE JONES
art and cover by JOELLE JONES
variant cover by STANLEY "ARTGERM" LAU
blank variant cover available
The wedding night's barely over, but Catwoman's back on the streets, this time to expose a copycat who's pulling heists around Gotham City. As Selina cracks the whip on her former criminal cohorts, she's attracting unwanted attention from one of Gotham's most dangerous groups. The mob? Nope. Try the GCPD. And as if the Bat-Bride didn't have enough problems, don't miss the debut of an all-new villain determined to make trouble for all nine of Selina's lives. Don't miss the start of an all-new monthly series written and illustrated by Eisner Award-nominee Joƫlle Jones!
ON SALE 07.04.18
$3.99 US | 32 PAGES
FC | RATED T+


I might give this a try although I don't have high hopes. Nothing against Jones but I've been let down by a lot of bat books. Assuming the marriage goes through? What I'd like is a Selina book with her actually bonding with her stepsons and having everyone being in character. On another topic I love her dress.



JUSTICE LEAGUE ODYSSEY #1
written by JOSHUA WILLIAMSON
art and cover by STJEPAN SEJIC
variant cover by TERRY DODSON and RACHEL DODSON
Spinning out of JUSTICE LEAGUE: NO JUSTICE! When a cosmic menace threatens worlds beyond our own in the Ghost Sector, it falls to a new Justice League team to answer the call to battle! Cyborg, Starfire, Green Lantern Jessica Cruz and an out-of-his-element Azrael head to deep space inside a commandeered Brainiac Skull Ship. But as these wildcard teammates try to stop Despero from slave-trading Coluan refugees, they discover something that nothing in the universe could have prepared them for: Darkseid...who says he's there to help?!
ON SALE 07.11.18
$3.99 US | 32 PAGES
FC | RATED T+



I'm mildly curious about this. It has art I love and Starfire. I think I might have read something this writer previously did but I'm drawing a blank. If I try it out it will be to have a change of pace. I could go either way on buying it or not.



DEATHSTROKE #33
written by CHRISTOPHER PRIEST
art by CARLO PAGULAYAN and JASON PAZ
cover by ROBSON ROCHA and DANIEL HENRIQUES
variant cover by FRANCESCO MATTINA
Forced to team with Deathstroke, a man he loathes, Damian Wayne must discover the truth of his lineage. Is he really Bruce Wayne's son, or is Slade Wilson his true father? As Batman draws closer to finding them both, Deathstroke must complete a hit, while Robin shadows the killer for hire.
ON SALE 07.04.18
$3.99 US | 32 PAGES
FC | RATED T+


I have serious trouble buying the idea Slade is the true father. Shouldn't Bruce know? Why change it after years of promoting it? I know Priest claims it's an undecided verdict but I still serious doubt it. Even if fans did a poll (and those always work out so well) would it really sell better than Batman being his dad?


RED HOOD AND THE OUTLWWS #24
written by SCOTT LOBDELL
art by DEXTER SOY and ALISSON BORGES
cover by TREVOR HAIRSINE
variant cover by GUILLEM MARCH
Bizarro is getting…worse. Worser? Worsest. The backward Superman's diminishing cognitive state is causing problems for the rest of the Outlaws. Complicating things is the Red Hood's vendetta against the Penguin-can the Outlaws stop Jason Todd from crossing a line he can't return from?
ON SALE 07.11.18
$3.99 US | 32 PAGES
FC | RATED T+


No idea what to expect from the Bizarro plot. I at least have a vague idea what may be going on with Jason.  It seems like Penguin is replacing Two-Face as Willis' killer/boss? Maybe? I did like the Two-Face connection for the whole "Harvey is obsessed with twos which Jason takes advantage of by reminding him that he's Robin number two" bit. Kori and Roy might show up in this issue according to Lobdell which would be great.



Dick is Batman again to fill in for Bruce which is understandable but honestly bores me. I could go for something unexpected. For example I remember liking the concept of Superman playing the role in the animated series. More Dick and Babs stuff too which I don't care for especially given the way she's been written. Why is it that so many of her plots seems to be related to her love life? I don't recall with Cass or Steph having nearly so much focus on that aspect.

2 comments:

  1. Are you looking forward to Jason's appearance in Mother Panic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The AU where Jason is a crazy bad guy? Not really. I honestly haven't read the title and it doesn't sound like a take that would be appealing to me.

    ReplyDelete