Friday, December 28, 2018

Short Review: Red Hood and the Outlaws #28 Vol. 2

I'm not going to lie, I prefer the original cover before they changed it around. The other version made Jason look more wounded while this makes him more vicious. The first worked better with the idea of him finding trouble in what appeared to be a small Pleasantville type of town.

SPOILERS AHEAD

A new Wingman appears trying to get the information Red Hood got out of the sheriff. Jason can now tell people he fought a town. Maybe not the part about losing. He gets put up like a scarecrow and kills an android. Batwoman shows up and he throws android guts in her face. Which was satisfying after she sent the Outlaws to Waller last time. They fight but have to stop to avoid more androids. What's going on? Why didn't the town kill him? Is Kate checking up on him for Bruce? How does she know it's Jason unless their spying on him? He's wearing a new uniform.


Overall: Jason's reaction to being part of the overly friendly community is hilarious. He has no idea how to deal with these people before they come at him and the way they interact with him (before he's attacked) is equally amusing. I particularly like the response to his claim that he's having a blast. I was waiting for them to do something but I expected them to poison him with their apple treats.

Jason's reaction to the town being obsessed over apples reminds me of Stephanies' reaction to the harvest fest in Gotham. City kids don't really see the appeal especially since, as Stephanie said, the only thing Gotham harvest is crime. I wanted the fight with the town to last longer but it was fun. Jason doesn't seem to have many great fights in general which is disappointing.

BTW having someone dress you while you're knocked out will always be creepy to me.

The android reminded me a lot of Bizarro making it's death more disturbing. Yeah he's kinda like Grundy but all the same it's unnerving. I'm wondering if Jason idea being tested since he wasn't killed outright. I'm still annoyed with how Kate treats Jason. It reminds me a lot of how she treated Bette. It's especially annoying considering: what she did to the Outlaws, that Jason spoke out on her behalf and the fact she gets warnings vs. how Jason was treated by Bruce.




Say What?: The fun fourth wall breaking caption boxes saying Wingman isn't him, etc. hasn't been used for awhile. I think the last time they were used was in the second annual of the first series.

Nice touch with Jason hesitating before mentioning Roy in his narration boxes. It's a subtle way to show the death is still raw and he doesn't want to think about it. I've seen some readers complaining that Jason "barely reacted" but I think he's not trying to actually grieve yet. I mean even Bruce noticed Jason wasn't being open with his feelings.

Jason's "I'm not much of a pie guy" might shock some fans who relate his character to his voice actor's role on Supernatural. I've never seen an episode but I've heard his character is obsessed with pies.

"Hood" "Woman" made me smile. It's such a smartass Robin thing to say. Like when Tim and him called each other red.

Jason has an ego? Kate knows Jason? If she did she'd know Jason doesn't trust the Bruce or the family right now. Pressing his buttons isn't smart. She shouldn't have threatened him because surprise--that gave him the wrong impression. In some ways she's as dense as Bruce but at least Bruce didn't point a weapon at Jason when they last met.

No comments:

Post a Comment