Thursday, July 18, 2019

SDCC Part 1

Including statues, TMNT and some DC figures.

Did something change with Mattel's finished products? Well yes, it looks like there was a change or two.

Here are some DC statues from Diamond Select including Tim Drake/Robin, Jason Todd/Red Hood (with a sword), Kate Kane/Batwoman and Carrie Kelly/Robin.

Gentle Giants Star Wars statues here.

Hot Toys statues and figures here.

Neca has cartoon inspired TMNT figures here.

Here Mattel has some of their last DC offerings although they haven't displayed the Alfred figure yet. I'm not sure if they got rid of the Riddler figure, Here's some of my thoughts on these figures:

Poison Ivy: The face looks bad especially when you compare it to the first paint job. 

Joker: I'm not interested in this figure but the body looks great. Which works out since Alfred is supposed to use the same body.

Kenner Batman: I know this is a throw back but I don't like the look of this.

Beast: This looks REALLY good and I'm not even a fan of the character.

Katana: This figure was really well done.

Killer Croc: The arms seem too long but I'm happy that it's not the Lizard version.

Tim Drake/Red Robin: This costume is no longer a style Tim wears, isn't one I really care for but Mattel can't be blamed for how fast the character went through costumes. That's hard to catch up on. I like how it was done but I wished Tim was shorter than his brothers since it looks like he's about the same size. It would have been nice if he got an extra head too since Jason and Dick have two each. I'll get this just so I can have three Robins arrive at once. Tim does deserve some love.

Dick Grayson/Batman: Just like Croc and Beast this is the first time this figure has been shown. I guess it's okay but I haven't seen any good shots of it showing if he's grinning in the cowl. There's room for improvement, he's kind of lanky when his Nightwing figure was a little more buff. I like that there was an unmasked head but it would have been better if it had more of Dick's personality. I'm also not sure if it was supposed to be Jason's unmasked head or not.

Jason Todd/Red Hood: I was admittedly disappointed by the reveal of the action figure. The helmetless head feels off and I believe it was originally supposed to be maskless. Not just because Jason rarely ever has a domino on these days but Mattel already showed what the head was supposed to look like. It was closer to the style of artist Dexter Soy.


I can't tell if the finished head came from this design (which was pending approval at the time), if it was warped during production (it happens) or if the paint scheme is messing it up. From what I think I can see in pictures it looks like the mask was painted on. The Nightwing figure that was released and the Red Robin figure book have sculpted on mask. I think I can see the ridges of eyebows of the finished head. As you can see in the image there was no mask in the original design.

No comments:

Post a Comment