Wednesday, October 11, 2017

The new bad bat future

I don't like how Tynion writes the bat family so this doesn't entirely surprise me. Be that as it may I need to vent.

SPOILERS AHEAD


While I realize this is yet another meaningless possible bad future I still got to rant some.

Evil Batman/Tim Drake comes from the future to talk to his past self. Bruce died and Tynion goes out of his way to force Tim into the role when all things considered he really didn't need to go to such lengths.

Dick wore the cowl briefly then he "moves on" which is a thought process from Higgins I hated and I still don't think it works under Tynion. Dick Grayson doesn't act like he has the attention span of a gnat and decides to go on to the next thing. Not the real core of the character that I've been missing for years. I'm especially pissed off that Tynion is saying Dick decided to ditch his brothers and the mission just so he could enjoy his own life.

That's not Dick Grayson ! Though I'm amused that he's settled down with a family since most of the current bat writers have shown him as an one night stand sort of guy. He's suppose to be a committed one woman person. But he'll ignore his brothers needlessly suffering, being murdered and killing each other. Why do so many of the current bat writers have Dick being such a selfish jackass?

Jason never gets the cowl as he gets in a big fight. I'm not sure whether to be thankful Tynion didn't use his awful RHATO to tie in to this more or annoyed that he seems to be using the location of the All Caste thereby reminding me of it. Jason seems to be fighting random ninjas despite the mystic assassins bit. Tynion never grasped Jason's character and falls back onto the "slight compliment but mostly insulting" way of writing him. Future Tim says the results of that fight might surprise past Tim. So what, it's supposed to be surprising that Jason Todd, the guy that was able to fight toe to toe with Bruce could beat a hundred assassins? Tim looked for Jason for a year so yea for noticing Tim cares but guess what?

Jason loses his eye, a leg and the will to live. He's living in the street and apparently using drugs. Which just feels like such a slap in the face when you actually see how Lobdell has developed the character. Jason's mom (Catherine) died of an OD. One of the great things about him is that Jason never gives in to addiction. No mention of Jason's friends either which I suppose means they abandoned him too.

Damian wears the cowl while Tim looks for Jason and nearly destroyed Gotham. Tim "did what was necessary" to stop Damian. I would normally love the fact someone acknowledges the fact that Damian isn't the better fighter (Tim has beaten him in the past) but nothing else is said about the implication and I'm tired of arrogant Tim.


Why couldn't Dick be the one that was injured? That way he'd have a reason for not helping his brothers. Instead he looks like an ass that doesn't care as long as he's happy. Jason gets all of that crap when he could have been a million other places. He could be trapped in the Phantom Zone, unable to get back to Earth. But no, Dick gets to have a good ending, Damian dies, Jason as usual gets an uninspired raw deal and Tim is the focus of another bad future story. Neither Dick or Jason want to be Batman so their not a threat to Tim. Hell even Damian could have been too busy dealing with the Al Ghul side to take the cowl.

6 comments:

  1. Yeah not the most inspired future scenario. DC sure loves dystopia nowadays.

    On Jason. I'm fine with the 100 assassin fight. The drug abuse is honestly unnecessary and there are better ways to depict a Jason-in-despair without making him OOC. That said though, his saving grace is that we know he eventually picks himself back up to fight along side Batwoman. Regardless of the gruesome deal, he comes out better than the rest of the robins.

    The Jason thread on cbr is very lively atm because of this. If you are not there already, would you care to join? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah and I'm not interested in any of them.

    The only thing that really upsets me about Jason taking on the assassins is how Future Tim suggests it's surprising he did so well. What happened to all of the Robins is contrived but especially Jason's story. I mean this goes beyond bad characterization.

    We're supposed to believe Jason left what I assume is the Acres of All, by himself, on one leg. That he loss the will to live? No, you don't make such a tremendously effort to survive if you have no will. He would have let himself bleed to death if that was the case. Tynion also suggests that no one besides Tim ever bothers to look for Jason and Jason never contacts anyone. That's pure BS that continues to make everyone besides Tim look bad.

    That's where he looks older than Kate right? I'd say Dick has it the best as he got to be happy and has the luxury of not being tainted by these events.

    Thanks but I'm trying to avoid possible spoilers for RHATO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually from what I see, many think Jason came out still a hero while Dick with his fortunate outcome, accidentally looked the worst for abandoning Gotham as well as his family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that's what you meant. True although I get the impression Tynion doesn't see it as a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My impression is that, Tynion probably doesn't mean to do it but somehow his Jason most of the time ends up a better man than the other robins. BR:Eternal is another example.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I honestly don't know what his intent ever is for Jason. I'll take your word for that as I never read it. I decided it wasn't for me after dropping the first Eternal series and seeing the preview. Jason randomly insisting on getting Tim to drink bothered me for several reasons.

    ReplyDelete