Sunday, May 27, 2018

Short Review: Flash Annual

I'm not a Flash fan per se but sometimes the stories do intrigue me. At first I planned on staying about from the Flash War story despite how compelling it looked because it's said that we'll find out who the better Flash is when it's over. Given all the attention Barry gets it seems inevitable that he'll be the victor. But I saw some scans and decided to check this out. The annual is kind of a set up issue.

SPOILERS AHEAD

One thing that I appreciate above all else is that Barry and Wally both raise good points. Unfortunately Barry's point and the fact he's right overshadow what Wally says, which I think was pretty spot on. They aren't arguing about seems to be the central part of the Flash War yet. Barry brings up a problem most readers have already complained about in the Titans title: that Wally has done nothing to rebuild his since he returned. (Something I wish another mentor brought up with his former protege.) This is brought into the forefront as Wally visits his ex Frankie. I've read a little about Frankie and I feel bad for her whenever I see her story.

She remembers Wally and while she later calms down she calls him out on being selfish for risking her mental health by triggering her memory which he agrees with. There's some foreshadowing that seems to imply Wally will still be selfish by trying to regain his life that I'm not too fond of. Mainly because I had this arc concluding with Barry in the right since I first heard about it.

Wally points out Barry's own selfish behavior as he seems to be pushing Wally into talking to his aunt Iris because Barry doesn't want to lie to her any more. In fact he arranged a meeting without his consent that was stopped because of the Top. Wally also learns Iris killed Reverse Flash and he wasn't informed about it. Which I push in the "Barry is being selfish" pile too. Sure Kid Flash could have said something, Barry and him both assume the other would say something but it should have been Barry that could told Wally. This is clearly how Wally feels as well.

Both Barry and Wally are being selfish to different degrees although Wallys' is based on fear. His whole life is pretty much gone and all he has left is thanks to those that do remember him.

Time is screwed up in the future and they realize that something has to be fixed. The judge sends out his rogues themed law enforcers to have Iris answer for her crime of killing Reverse Flash. It's revealed that the judge is Zoom and he's involved what's about to go down with the Flash War.

A good read although I'm hoping it doesn't have a predictable ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment