Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Shipping Drama

I avoid shows based on how crazy their fans are over shipping. I said it before but it needs to be repeated: I would never have gotten into RWBY if I knew how bad the obsession with pairing up characters was. This should not be something you scream at creators for and in the case of RHATO I think it's especially strange to get upset over it.

Yes Scott Lobdell said editorial wanted it and he was a little resistant to it. But he still built up the chemistry between Artemis and Jason. He, Dexter Soy and Kirkham still heavily hinted at it. This didn't come out of no where. Artemis of Bana-Mighdall is not, nor was she ever, a lesbian. She's bisexual/pansexual which means that yes she is attracted to men too. Lobdell didn't change anything as her creator made it VERY clear that Artemis was sexually attracted to men.

I've heard several different complaints about Jason being attracted to her that make no sense either. Everything I've seen argued about seems to be based on headcanons without any actual real proof of said headcanons. Instead of addressing it all I'll just make this summary:

Jason is/was attracted to Essence, Kori and Isabel. We don't know how far things went with Essence (*1) but he had obvious deep romantic feeling for her. Jason admits things could have gone further with Kori but they "friendzoned" each other. Given the fact she's his adoptive brother's ex that was a wise choice. Right from the start Jason liked Isabel but his insecurities about his life and possibly endangering her made a relationship hard. It was obvious he wanted a relationship with her and enjoyed their night together before Joker ruined things.

While Artemis might give Jason crap it's obvious she likes and respects him. I remember people shipping him with Babs during Eternal when she treated him like shit with a smug grin on her face. To this day I still don't understand that one and will never support it. If Jason and Artemis become a couple and continue to treat each other well I'll be happy. I'm someone who's still somewhat on the fence about this but I'm willing to see it for myself. I'll support this if the creators go in this direction. I don't support harassing others over pairings or pretending past canon involving their romantic life didn't happen just to enforce a head canon. If you don't like it in general fine. For example if you feel it hasn't been built up enough or think their personalities aren't suited for a romantic union, I could understand that.

I saw one comment worrying that the bat franchise was going to muck up the Wonder Woman line doing this. I forget how it was phrased but I think I know what they meant. Like whenever Clark and Diana are together and she's made the lesser of the two, etc. I think this would be a valid concern if this were Bruce and Diana. It didn't really happen when Cassie dated Conner or whatever she had with Tim. But Cassie is more of a known factor in Wonder Woman lore than Artemis. Thus far from my back issue reading it seems that Lobdell is the first writer to give Artemis this much attention since Artemis Requiem. She's standing on her own now more than she ever did and Jason is barely a factor in the bat books.

I saw someone, apparently the person who called Lobdell out over the two embracing when Bizarro fell, saying he better not betray them. For context this person asked why he had to romanticize them and he said that was how they viewed a scene where two friends grieved the third. I have to say I don't see how Lobdell "betrayed" them as he never promised anything. All he did was state that scene had nothing to do with romance which it didn't. We also don't know if the editors decided to press him on the matter since then. Lobdell doesn't deserved to be harassed for this and in fact no creator does. Once again please keep in mind:

  1.  It may not have been his choice. Lobdell heavily implied it might happen in the podcast because higher ups wanted it. We've known this for awhile.
  2. He was right, the scene had nothing to do with romance as Bizarro just "died" in front of them. But that has no bearing on there possibly being romance in the future. Also Soy drew that panel not Lobdell. I still don't know why everyone forgets that. 
  3. He never made a promise it wouldn't turn into a romance and in fact stated he was resistant to the idea.
I'm not saying there aren't valid reasons to be concerned. Really it's too early to even make any judgement so I'm not sure why it's such a big deal. It doesn't change who the characters are as long as they treat each other well.




*1 Essence gave Jason his first kiss but I'm hoping it didn't go further than that because she's really old as an immortal and he was a minor. He's supposed to be 18/19 now.

No comments:

Post a Comment