Saturday, October 29, 2011

Birds Of Prey #1


The Who: At this point just Black Canary (Dinah Lance) and Starling (Ev Crawford)

Why I chose this title: I had some extra money to blow and saw a second printing for this. I'm always trying to get into this book at different points by trying out a issue here and there or in one case a trade. I don't know why but I've never been interested enough to stay on board.

What I expect from the book: Not much. Female bonding while beating up the bad guys?

Thoughts:  Another book that feels shorter than it should. We only have two members of the team present, which I don't have a problem with but it doesn't really tell me too much about Ev and Dinah. That's the point, to build up interest in finding out. I just don't have much interest. I'm not sure how to feel about this one. It's okay, I adore the art and the writing is good. The villians designs certainty stand above the crowd as their pretty memorable. Starling, I've gotten the impression that most either love her or hate her. I don't feel one way or another about her. I can see her becoming a notable character but I think Zinda could have filled this spot just as well. The one thing that bugged me about this was the appearance of Barbara Gordon. I will say that I found it more in character than the scans of Batgirl I've seen (although it's hard to form an opinion of something you haven't read the entirety of) but even so it's rather cold.  Kinda of sad but at least their not forgetting the two had a friendship in the past.

Did You Notice?: Thought bubbles seemed to have been replaced by narrative text boxes in DC Comics. I'm amused to discover that instead of the usual icon such as Booster Golds' star Dinahs' is her fishnet stockings. Guess that means Zatanna has her top hat.

Verdict: It certainly raises questions to get readers interested but I'm not staying on to find them out. Nothing is truly wrong with this title but I have other books that I would rather keep on my pull list.

No comments:

Post a Comment