Saturday, November 18, 2017

Red Hood and the Outlaws #16 Vol. 2

I FINALLY got it ! Can DC drop the $3.99 cost to add on the digital copy so I can go back to getting this series the day of release on digital? I'd like to support both releases but waiting for the mail as to not waste money on a digital copy since I'm getting it free is a pain.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Did anyone else remember Jason mocking Captain Boomarang as Robin in the UTH flashback when reading this? I question why he'd be there anyway as he serves no purpose as an observer but I suspect Waller knew Red Hood would beat him up. Boomerang only sees Jason as a punk which I like for three reasons. 1. It's a nod to Jason being young, 2. It shows Boomerang is an idiot and 3. It relates back to what Jason said way by in #6 of the first series--which is essentially that people underestimate him.

This marks the second time someone has questioned the bat symbol which proves to be the means to Jason's escape. I love the taser but could Jason expand on his methods a little more? It wouldn't be as useful once more people know about it. Artemis apparently had to endure Harley Quinn and no Artemis, you aren't the only one to find her tiresome. Most of the time I'm indifferent to her but Harley is overexposed to the point she's gotten annoying. One of the things I remembered going into this was Artemis' line about no prison holding her and being able to call Mistress whenever she wanted. I'm glad she decided she had enough for Harley.

Jason's narration about Task Force X only underlines how wrong it was of Kate to send them there. Even Waller recognizes the fact Jason is part of the bat family. I do love how Jason regards Waller I just wish others had as much sense to know you don't just hand people over to her.

Bizarro makes a deal with Waller that his friends reluctantly agree to help  Squad with.



Overall: I enjoyed this more than last issue but I'm still mad about what the Det. team did. More so since it appears like their never get punished or called out for their actions. I took it as one of the ways DC is showing that she's rash to tie into the DET. future plot.

I'm also not overly fond of Jason treating Harley like a big threat to Artemis and seeming shaken by her. But is Jason implying Harley beat him up and/or an Arkham Knight type situation? Was he in Arkham being tortured and treated like her patient?

I did love how Jason broke free with ease and hope he gets more of those moments. I don't know how to judge Bizarro at the moment. I'll have to give it more thought but his questionable means to achieve his goals is such a Lex move it remains worrisome.

I liked the friendly acknowledgement between Croc and Jason. Their mutual bond with Roy is sweet and it's always good to see that acknowledged. Not much to say about this issue for now but as always I have a lot of questions.




Say What?: Sometimes I'm so eager to read the story that I miss the title. #Squad Goals is adorable.

Cap. Boomerang gives nods to past stories about Jason like the "Scourge of Gotham" bit and the heads in a duffle bag mention. The latter of which Lobdell already mentioned in RHA with Roy bringing it up.

"Made a name" is a strange turn of phrase here has Boomerang's previous sentence built Red Hood up as a legend from his UTH time. Yet he seems to be suggesting Jason only recently made himself known by taking down Black Mask.

I just like the correction of Mr. to Captain then the Captain Mr. Boomerang response.

"Just 'Cause" made me so happy. It's so meta worthy, it sounds like something Bruce would use and seems to be Jason's way of saying he only acts when necessary. He only uses the taser when he has to.

Jason says he probably should have told Batwoman he was working undercover. No, that wouldn't have worked as she made it VERY clear she wasn't interested in anything Jason said. It also wasn't why she kidnapped Bizarro. She had no right and sadly I think this is confirmation that Kate is never going to apologise or have a talk from Batman. I figured as much but it still pisses me off. No Jason doesn't know why Kate acted that way but I feel like some readers might write of Kate's responsibility now.

I'm glad Artemis points out how a battle against Harley and her should go. I.E. she shouldn't stand a chance against an Amazon. I did get serious annoyed that Jason questioned this and played up the HQ hype.

I know Amanda knows about Batman's ID in some canon but why call Jason by name Bizarro?!

Artemis implies Jason complains a lot which I don't recall so I think this is just her trolling him.




Did You Notice?: Much like the DOTF tie in Jason has a red domino mask on when he previously didn't. Why doesn't editorial make a bigger deal out of Jason being unmasked so often then ? Have him wear a mask around more people if it's such a big deal.

I love the scene in the art but I question if there was some miscommunication between Soy and Lobdell during the opening scene. Jason mentions cuffs when he's chained up. Where are the cuffs? At least those I could assume needed a special key to safely open. This looks like Jason can free himself although he might just be intimidating the guy.

I know everyone noticed it but I wanted to say the image of Jason sitting in a chair with "hero" carved into it while guns are pointed at his head and the others are being zapped was masterfully done.

The drawings Harley did are mostly cute especially the pissy Artemis one.

Jason's jacket doesn't have the same damage it did last issue.



Questions Raised?: Did Jason know about N.O.W.H.E.R.E.? Tim was in conflict with Harvest.

4 comments:

  1. I think people would have a hard time telling if the Red Hood of UTH and the one with the team of Outlaws are the same after all Red Hood used to be a name for many different people and in UTH he wasn't unmasked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason has been unmasked a lot since New 52 onward while wearing his uniform though. Good guys and villains have seen his face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah bu he also changes his cotume from the first apearence to the one he have in the point that he is unmasked the first time, people know now who he is and they assume he was the one that took over Gotham in UTH but believing and knowing are different things, the little doubt must be annoying. Maybe or maybe I'm just reading to much fanfic ^-^U

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far it seems like everyone assumes it's the same guy especially given how Captain Boomerang linked UTH RH with the current one. And trying to figure out how anyone sees his face and doesn't connect the dots still gives me a headache.

    ReplyDelete