Thursday, November 30, 2017

Dan Jurgens brings back Booster for Action Comics

Something I've been waiting for for awhile. Interview found here.

Nrama: On a lighter note, Action Comics #993 is the beginning of your "Booster Shot" issues. Can I just say - it's about time! Yes, pun intended, but a lot of fans missed him! Did you too?

Jurgens: Yeah, it’s always fun to get back to Booster. I try not to force the issue when it happens, but in terms of Superman’s quest to go back in time to see if Jor-El really survived Krypton’s explosion, well… it’s a natural.

Nrama: Where the heck has Booster been?

Jurgens: Surfing the time stream. Like that wouldn’t be enough to keep him busy?

Nrama: Good point. OK, so what's Booster's role in the story with Superman?

Jurgens: If Superman is going back to the moment of Krypton’s destruction (which he is), he’s putting himself in a very precarious position. What happens if he’s stuck on Krypton when the planet blows? How would that change time? Because of that, Booster gets involved.


It's been too long since we had Booster back. I did wonder how Superman was going to find Booster and how that would tie into the Time Masters stuff. I'm glad that Booster finds Clark instead to make sure he doesn't screw up. It's a nice twist on what their early relationship was. But as we don't know what's up with THIS Booster I think we need more of an answer than he was busy with the time stream.




Nrama: What sorts of things do they discover along the way? Looks like Lor-Zod? And an unwelcome future? So they're traveling forward in time as well?

Jurgens: Booster and Superman get to see a Krypton that might be, as well as a Zod related planet that will be. It sets us up for some strong material going forward.




I gotta be honest, I'm not loving Lor-Zod, formerly Chris Kent, being made into a villain. I am interested in a Krypton that might be and the Zod planet.



Nrama: You're getting to draw the covers for the Booster storyline. What's it been like penciling Superman and Booster Gold again with this run?

Jurgens: It’s taxing, as I’m still writing a lot of stuff as well, but it’s been fun to come back for the covers. I’m also drawing two issues, #993 and #994, which is also a lot of fun! I really wish I had more time to draw.

Nrama: Anything else you want to tell readers about Mr. Oz and what else is coming up in Action Comics?

Jurgens: I think the “Booster Shot” storyline will provide a lot of fun to the book. Coming out of “The Oz Effect,” we wanted to get a bit lighter, without forgetting the elements we were dealing with as part of the story. All of that comes together here in a storyline that I think readers will really enjoy.

And, as an extra bonus, we will continue to explore the theme of family as Lois and Jon get embroiled in a story that really involves her father Sam. We’re having a lot of fun with that as well.



I'm so glad Jurgens is doing some art although I wish he could do more. All of that sounds wonderful but are we going to see Booster anywhere else after this arc?

No comments:

Post a Comment