Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Batgirl Redesign by Sean Murphy

For awhile a lot of fans have hoped the Burnside Batgirl costume was changed. It has been while paying homage to Year One Batgirl.

The cowl/mask doesn't cover the top of the head, instead the bat ears pierce through her hair. I believe this style was first seen in Thrillkiller.

While I appreciate the thought Murphy went through to update a classic look this isn't for me. It does make Barbara look more mature than the Burnside outfit but not by much. I think her New 52 costume came off the best out of the three.

In this case it's not just honoring the past that should be considered but how she comes off compared to the other heroes in Gotham. I've seen comments about her Burnside look standing next to the rest of the Bat family and I have to agree. She didn't look nearly as professional. I've often seen it referred to as cosplay.

This is already an improvement over Burnside but I'm not sure how she'd rank besides the others. This may be another case of artist style but it's currently my least favorite of the new costumes.




No comments:

Post a Comment