Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Flash #49

It's not the last issue of the arc yet it does reveal what's up with Hunter.

SPOILERS AHEAD


This wasn't a bad issue per se although it was the weakest in this arc. Not just because of the predictable factor with Zoom tricking Wally. I think we all knew he was playing some game. I'm undecided on how I feel about the change in his motivation. I like what little of the previously version I've seen of him and his efforts to make heroes "better." The twist of him being inspired to be better than Barry and Wally is good. I'm just not sold on the "you guys are always so selfish, I forced you to be selfish Wally and now you suck. Now I'm going to be a better hero but it's okay that I want to be selfish."

Next issue will likely build on this more but as is it doesn't make much sense to me. The idea of other Forces is cool I'm just not sold on what's written here yet. I don't know if I want a bunch of them like Lanterns Corps.

The addition of the guest stars manages to be both a great addition and very unnecessary. For example we don't need to have a panel of Hawkman saying how terrible it is when that's already been established with the other heroes  which makes it just unbelievably redundant. Waller is pointlessly throwing her weight around making her attempt to scare the leads into stopping laughable. Steve fares a little better since he can track their movements, calculate where their go, figure out that their arguing and contact the heroes. How he's equipped for this when others aren't I can only guess.

Most heroes do nothing except stand around although I like that their best shot--Superman--can't even keep up with them. We finally have it confirmed that Flash (at least Wally and Barry) are faster than Superman. The Speed Force also overcomes Hal Jordan's ring and despite what Hal thought it doesn't slow them down at all. Those two scenes were highlights for me. Curiously we also get an exchange between Roy and Dick confirming other crappy behavior. Dick hasn't contacted Roy in a while and he found out about a new team Dick put together without inviting him.

Sadly the emotion doesn't hit as hard as past issues. That's not to say Wally and Barry don't talk about their friction. Wally makes a lot of excellent points on Barry's mistakes when dealing with things lately. How Barry attempting to save his dead mother by altering time isn't the same as trying to save his alive children.

Barry stumbles a bit more in my opinion because this whole event would be very preventable if Barry had been more involved. To his credit Barry owes up to this some but then he let's it slip that he's known about the other speedsters being trapped before Wally recalled them. Yet he's never said any of it to Wally and has chastised him for not revealing himself to Iris or putting his life together. Barry keeps on saying they can figure something out but shouldn't he have a better idea of what course to take if he's known about it longer?

I'm not up to date on what's going on with Linda but last I heard she was struggling with the concept of being Wally's wife. Why does Barry think asking her for her opinion on saving her kids is a good idea? Is he just that desperate? Because Wally is right, it's not something to just drop on her. The Flashpoint mention about Barry not even going to Wally about it is spot on and eventually Barry agrees to help.

Unless they battle next issue most of the war between Barry and Wally was verbal. Although this probably has to do with Zoom dubbing himself Flash. Zoom claims he does know where the twins are but he never says. I doubt their save anyone in the Flash family at the end of the arc. But I think the appearance of the Titans might tie into the fallout. Their already on bad terms with the JL then Wally messes up the Speed Force? Yeah it looks like this might link up with why he's in Heroes in Crisis. They think he needs help despite him previously telling them about his lost life and no one besides the Titans really helping him through it.




Say What?: Roy not knowing who the twins are...that hurts. Because Roy's daughter Lian doesn't exist. I know the kids at least hung out together once.

No comments:

Post a Comment