Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Catwoman Redesign by Joëlle Jones

I've been trying to figure out how I feel about this design ever since I first saw it.


This seems to be modelled off of a more classic Catwoman cowl which isn't a bad thing. I'm glad her hair isn't out.

One of the factors I think of with costume designs, no matter what the gender, is if too much skin is showing. This is decided on based on a number of things. 

How it functions. Who the character is and what genre their in. Water based characters and aliens for example would not have to meet the same criteria as a powerless human that fights street level threats.

For the most part Selina isn't wearing anything too out of the norm. She wears sensible shoes for a cat burger (at least until another artist puts her in heels) and is in basic black. Though the big silver ring (part of a zipper?) would attract attention if light was reflected off of it.

What trips me up is the skin being shown off around the underarms. I don't know what the function of it is. It's the type of design that will look good or bad depending on the artists' style. I prefer the Darwyn Cooke design (with the zipper up and no heels) since it's more functional and usually looks good no matter who draws it. But so far this seems like a decent enough costume. I just don't know how I'll feel about it later or how it will translate with other artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment