Friday, June 29, 2018

Batman Prelude to the Wedding : Part One Robin vs. Ra's Al Ghul

I wasn't going to get any of these but I was desperate for the bat kids to react to their dad getting married. I didn't get the Batgirl or Harley Quinn issues and I don't plan to get them.

SPOILERS AHEAD

I'll start off with the positives by saying I'm thrilled that we're FINALLY getting some bonding between Selina and Damian. This was a mostly fun read that does touch on Damian's insecurities and links Selina's own worries about being a mom nicely at the end. The fact that Damian wants to honor his mother's heritage with what he's wearing is a nice touch. If nothing else it means that Damian isn't ignoring that side of the family strictly to be his father's son.

As nice as it is to see Selina making an effort and getting along with Damian I do feel like we skipped the story of them bonding to get to this stage. I'm pretty sure Selina mostly ignored him under King and the last time I remember them really interacting was when Dick was Batman. Damian called her a harlot (or something like that) back then. It would have been nice to see Damian realizing he was acting like his grandfather and make his own efforts to better himself. Given the fact he usually treats Jason and Tim like crap it makes this sudden friendliness feel even more jarring to me.

I understand the need to explain who Damian is to new reader but it just seems unnatural for him to explain it to Selina like he does. I'm a bit on the fence on Damian's childishness here. I like to see him act his age I'm just not sure I'd see his complaint about the length of his sleeves when their not completed or sneaking in to play an arcade system to beat a score. Mostly the latter since he usually takes patrol more seriously.

I really don't buy Ra's doing all this just to taunt Damian for his choices leading to him potentially being replaced. Maybe if this was an arc in a Damian title with Ra's trying to lure Damian back for a longer period and being built up better. This just feels like he's being petty and pointlessly wasting his own time. I also really have trouble buying Joker taking out all of those assassins much less with their own weapons.

If nothing else I'm glad that Damian and Selina have some nice scenes together. I'm hoping for the same with Dick, Jason and Selina but I doubt that will happen.




Questions Raised?: I never understood this but why was Damian raised the way he was if he was just going to be a new body for Ra's Al Ghul? The physical training I understand but not the rest. Why didn't Ra's just clone Damian and use that body then?

Their marrying in secret? I heard this was just as Batman and Catwoman online but this seems vague. If it was just their other IDs then it's a fake and pointless marriage. Also I heard Selina is supposed to be wearing wigs since she's wanted for murder. She's not here. Shouldn't they clear Selina's name first then get married?

Does Damian really think about living "billions of years"? Yes he's part Al Ghul but it seems less likely if he's not on good terms with them.

How did Damian know what he'd look like as Batman 666? Yeah he wore a mini version before but he's bald and in a hellish Gotham. His text about a flashback of a memory seems to indicate he had a vision or something.



Did You Notice?: The plushie or balloon (there's a stick attached up the...) of Nightwing from Selina's party bag. She's marrying Bruce in secret, won't those invited know Dick was his stepson to be? Is this another "he's so hot" thing Seeley and King think is cute? Because it's kinda creepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment