Saturday, June 2, 2018

Secret Six Vol. 2 Money for Murder Part 1

I got this trade because 1) it has Artemis in it and 2) I could get more content for cheaper when I bought it during a sale rather than the single digital issues. I never read the series before so this was ideal. The Artemis section will be in another review since I'll probably have more to say about it.

OLDER SPOILERS AHEAD

This series was never dull but I don't think I'll go to the effort of collecting the rest of the title. There were some good moments but I never got really attached to any of the leads. I know humor is subjective but a lot of Gail Simone's humor doesn't work for me. I usually think her work is okay but I'm sorry to say I've never listed her among my favorites. In her other work it's usually because her characterizations feel off.

The Unhinged

The theme of this arc is whether or not someone that's so sinful can be forgiven and whether or not they can accept what they are. There are moments in this where there's a lot of effort going into building things up that feel really forced. Junior being so terrifying that inmates wet themselves was stated twice and the attempts just leave me with questions. Catman and Batman have a pointless fight to try to prove that Catman has changed. Nightwing's infamous rapist makes an appearance and while it wouldn't fit to mention the incident it was a little distracting that her guilt wasn't more forefront.

I get the fatherly Bane idea but it just came off weird when Scandel is an adult (that may be older than him?) who just allows him treat her like a kid. The twins are just killed off after just talking about their background. Junior strips for no reason (Peter knew who it was anyway) then freaks out once dressed? There were good points like villains all chasing after them, Deadshot trying to save the group and Jeannette. Her story is the most intriguing out of the leads.

But felt this was the weakest of the stories collected.


Double Date

This was a decent enough story although I didn't care for Ragdoll Dreams. Sorry I just don't care for him or Mad Hatter. I think their creepiness is too strong for me. The actual date content had some cute moments. On a sidenote for the trade I find Deadshot calling Scandal "sis" to be adorable.


A Debt of Signifcant Blood

Bane, Catman and Ragdoll pay their respect after Batman "dies." They debate on which one of them wants to be Batman although it's clear none of them knows how to be heroic without going overboard. It's one of the rare times I don't feel like a hero is wrong for telling them off even though they were trying to do something nice. It was more fun than double date just to see how bad they were at being good guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment