Monday, August 18, 2014

November Solicits

Just a few comics that stood out including one in particular that bugged me.


 
Batman and Robin #36

This cover has brought out a lot of feelings in me and other bat fans. Now I know that the cover is likely just symbiotic and won't happen in a literal sense. My first reaction was naturally "I don't want to get this because I don't like this series." Followed by wanting to see Bruce actually grovel since he doesn't deserve their loyalty although that will never happen. I like Jason's costume (except for the exposed neck) and of course the big reaction a lot of people had. "Is that Stephanie Brown?! Yeah she has blonde hair! That's awesome--wait Gleason has tags stating this is Barbara Gordon."

Now I have complicated feelings over Stephs' time as Robin. To me Batgirls and Robins in general have different meanings to Batman. They usually function differently and well I'll explain that at some different time. The point is it really bugs me to see Barbara in a Robin costume even if covers lie. Slightly because of her demand in Batman and Batgirl #21 but there's more to it. For Jason and Tim it definitely feels like regression much like Barbara and Batgirl. To honor Damian kind of feels wrong because only Tim really knew him and they weren't close. Damian did nothing to earn their respect so it just feels like their forcing this.
 
RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #36Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Art by R.B. SILVA
Cover by STEPHEN SEGOVIA
On sale NOVEMBER 19 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
The Outlaws never thought things would look this bad, as Jason Todd gives in to his addiction to Venom in order to find the missing Starfire!
 
This storyline really makes me uncomfortable so I'm hoping it gets over with quick. Mainly because using drugs/becoming addicted to them tend to forever mark the character(s) in a bad way. Roy being a prime example, the only reason people don't talk about Bruce is because he's Batman.
 
GOTHAM ACADEMY #2Written by BECKY CLOONAN and BRENDEN FLETCHER
Art and cover by KARL KERSCHL
1:25 Variant cover by BECKY CLOONAN
On sale NOVEMBER 5 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
Olive joins the creepy Order of the Bat as an afterschool activity, and we learn more about her secret past!
 
This sounds a little like a cult, maybe it won't be as light hearted as some assumed? I'm on the fence for whether I'll try this out.
 
Worlds' Finest #28
 
The image of Diana protecting little Clark and Bruce is amazing. Does this mean Earth 2 WW is older than them or time travel?
 
BATMAN ETERNAL VOL. 1 TP Written by SCOTT SNYDER, JAMES TYNION IV, RAY FAWKES, JOHN LAYMAN and TIM SEELEY
Art by JASON FABOK, DUSTIN NGUYEN, DEREK FRIDOLFS, ANDY CLARKE, TREVOR McCARTHY, EMANUEL SIMEONI, GUILLEM MARCH, RICCARDO BURCHIELLI, IAN BERTRAM, MIKEL JANIN and others
Cover by JASON FABOK
RETROSOLICIT • On sale NOVEMBER 26 • 448 pg, FC, $39.99 US
In the wake of FOREVER EVIL, the world looks at heroes in a different light, creating tension between Batman and his allies and the Gotham City Police Department. When a gang war breaks out and new villains arise, it’s up to the Dark Knight, Batgirl, and others to turn the tide as best as they can – but will the GCPD be a help or a hindrance? Plus, a fan-favorite character makes her long-awaited DC Comics – The New 52 debut: Stephanie Brown! Don’t miss these stories from BATMAN ETERNAL #1-20!
 
While I'll be avoiding the RHATO Big Picture trade because of the Tynion issues I'll give this a try. Hopefully it'll be worth it but there has been so many mixed reviews I don't know what to think until I read it.
 
THE NEW 52: FUTURES END VOL. 1 TP Written by BRIAN AZZARELLO, KEITH GIFFEN, DAN JURGENS and JEFF LEMIRE
Art by PATRICK ZIRCHER, JESUS MERINO, DAN JURGENS, AARON LOPRESTI, SCOT EATON and others
Cover by RYAN SOOK
On sale DECEMBER 3 • 416 pg, FC, $39.99 US
Five years from now, the DC Universe is reeling from a war with another Earth, leaving the world unprepared for an approaching evil that threatens to destroy the future. As heroes are turned into mindless villains, the planet as we know it is no more. The only salvation lies in the past, where this future apocalypse must be averted. Can a time-traveling Batman Beyond help a massive cast of the DCU’s finest avert the impending apocalypse in these stories from issues #0-17 of the new weekly series?
 
This one I'm less sure about, I don't think Booster turned up yet which means I don't have any reason to be interested in it. Well any reason that I'm aware of since nothing I heard caught my interest.
 
BATMAN: THE COMPLETE TELEVISION SERIES BLU-RAY AND BOOK SET On sale with Order Form opt-in: TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 11
On sale without Order Form opt-in: WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 12
SRP: $284.99 US
 
For THAT much?!
 

BATWOMAN #36Written by MARC ANDREYKO
Art by GEORGES JEANTY
Cover by RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE
On sale NOVEMBER 19 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+
“Batwoman and the Unknowns” continues as Batwoman crosses paths with the mysterious Jason Blood.
 
I believe this is the first time Jason Blood has been seen in present day, correct?
 
That's pretty much it for things that stood out besides Guy turning up more and realizing how much I hate the new Cheshire by looking at the Aquaman and the others cover. Nothing I'm really excited about but if I do get Gotham Academy here's hoping that will change.

No comments:

Post a Comment