Wednesday, July 4, 2018

DC Nation ad for Heroes In Crisis

Which has a page of characters that may fall in the three categories listed.
  • Three are suspects
  • Two will be murdered
  • One will be the murderer
What's the odds of the characters listed fitting the roles?

SPOILERS AHEAD

We can already check off the first bullet point because we know for sure who two of the suspects are from King and BC reported on who the third will be. Booster Gold, Harley Quinn and Wally West are all suspects. For now let's go down the list before getting back to them for the other spots. I have my own misgivings about this series but I'm going to try to narrow down who fits what.


The Atom: Is this Ray Palmer? I don't know what's going on with the Atoms which makes it hard for me to pinpoint how likely this is. DC already killed Ryan Choi with bad results. I could see Ray being murdered or a murderer since DC had no problem making his ex a murderer in Identity Crisis.

Beast Boy: I haven't been reading any Titans titles for a while although I've heard Beast Boy has been acting and doing questionable things lately. If that's the case DC might have him as a murderer rather than a victim. Garfield does have the advantage to change his shape to get to hard to get to locations.

Cyborg: DC has been trying to build him up but if they gave up he could fit one of the spots. For now I'll say he's less likely than other Titan options.

John Constantine: If something can kill Constantine I have a hard time believing most of the DC characters could pursue the murderer. It'd make the reveal feel dumb if it was one of the other characters listed that shouldn't be in his skill level. At the same time while Constantine has the power to kill others more easily than some on the page this doesn't feel like the type of event to do something like that. I think, or at least I'd like to believe, that a story like that would be written with his genre in mind.

Mr. Terrific: Another character from a title I don't read. (Honestly I keep forgetting about the book since I always think of Mr. Terrific as a JSA member.) While he's not as big of a name as some of the others he is featured in an ongoing title. It's not quite out of the realm of possibility that he'd still be put into either role but I'd like to believe a writer wouldn't intentionally step on another's toes.

Superman: I don't believe for a single second that Superman will be murdered or a murderer in this.

Wonder Woman: Diana has killed before but she isn't a murderer. She's too big of a name to kill (at least for long) and much like Superman there would be outrage if she killed patients at Sanctuary.  

Nightwing: I heard a rumor that he was going into limbo but I have no idea what that would mean. Dick Grayson is a big name and I can't see him being bumped off for this event. I can't think of a reason for Dick to loss it and start killing people much less those being treated. 

Red Robin: I heard about some...unpleasantness with Tim that will be coming up. If that's true then he can't be murdered. There has been some hints that Tim could be a threat if he was a villain with Joker alluding to it in the DOTF tie in. Be that as it may I don't think Tim will fill either role.

Kyle Rayner: Maybe? I'm behind on GL titles. I don't know his mental state, I don't know if DC wants to do a reverse Hal Jordan and rile up more fans with either outcome. But keep in mind DC and King previously didn't foresee how mad fans would get at being mislead.

Arsenal: Sadly I think it's pretty likely that Roy will be a victim. He's not in the new line up of Titans Dick is leading. A point Roy brought up recently during Flash War, he wasn't even informed about the changes and hasn't spoken to his friends in a while. Roy has been unhappy for awhile and we know he has some trauma in his life. He will be in the RHATO Annual but Jason is by himself soon after. Is this a way to get closure before Roy dies? I think being a victim is more likely but murderer might also be a direction they go with. Either way I hope he's neither.

Catwoman: Unless King plans to fake out readers of her solo and his ongoing Batman stories she should be safe from death. And people were already furious when he toyed with her being a murderer.

Green Arrow: A character with an ongoing title that's been built up over the years? Not as unlikely as Clark or Diana but close.

Damage: I haven't read anything about this character and don't know if it's supposed to be the same Damage from JSA and Titans. Since I have no information on him I could see either option.

Poison Ivy: King has done some work with the character and I have no idea how he approaches any of this. Which means the logic I'm trying to use on all this might not factor into what he's doing. Either option of her killing or being killed seems like a waste from a writing POV to me.

The Riddler: It's possible for Riddler to find out about the crisis center. Maybe. Are all those killed being treated there? If so Riddler isn't one of the victims since the information we've been given said Sanctuary is a place for heroes to be treated. Given the way King writes Eddie he could be the killer which makes this a little too on the nose. Still possible though.

Lex Luthor: Besides Superman he's the only one that we know has studied tech from Kypton. I just don't know why he'd bother. I can't see him dying especially since he has no reason to be at Sanctuary in the first place. 

Deathstroke: This would be the most obvious for the murderer, too obvious. How would he know about Sanctuary anyway? Would he kill anyone if he wasn't paid to do so? If so then who would that be? Slade has his own title that DC keeps bringing back making it look like their not going to kill him.
Bob Harras: Not happening but it would be incredible if he was in the comic.



Now back to the trio of suspects. Having any of them as a victim would enrage many readers and end storylines that are still ongoing. Harley has killed but the other two? DC will get nothing but hate for that choice plus it's WAAAAY to obvious to have the murderer be a suspect.

No comments:

Post a Comment