Friday, July 6, 2018

Flash Waid TPB Vol 1

I wanted to read more about Wally West after having my interest perked in Flash War. I wasn't sure what issues to read but I've read Waid's work in the past. How does this trade measure up and what do I think of Wally?

SPOILER AHEAD for Flash

I've seen Flash in passing throughout the years in appearance outside his main title. In cartoons and a little of the current live action tv show. But I always had trouble seeing what was compelling about the concept and the character. When I was little I couldn't wrap my head around how a story about running even at incredibly inhuman speeds could continue to be so engaging. When I heard about Barry Allen he was depicted too saintly to be interesting. I guess Johns thought so too since his past was giving a tragic twist with his mother's death and his father's wrongful arrest.

I was unsure if I'd be convinced when reading the opening story which was a tale about John Fox traveling to the past to get help from Jay Garrick, Barry and Wally. I knew who John was (or would be at the end of the story) because of an issue of Chronos. But for me the writing was a little off putting because of how dated it felt. I know it was a nod to the past eras but it didn't really give me a feeling for what the series would be going forward. The story does highlight a major theme I've discovered in Flash, namely the importance of legacy. How that legacy inspires others to become something greater than themselves.

When it comes to Wally West (or any kid sidekick) what adds more depth is the fact we get to see him start off as a kid and continue to grow. Over the years he's become more than a great hero. He's responsible, mature and a family man. We get a tease at the third in a story about a potential future Wally has married to a woman he was about to meet. I could probably nitpick about the possibility of Wally being in such a situation or how potentially dangerous his choice was in the end. But I really enjoyed it and the theme of dads trying to give their sons a better future. It's the kind of story that gives you a fan-ish glee despite knowing it can't come true. Although I'm a little concerned about what happened to the potential mom at the end...

There's a great deal of flashbacks to Wally becoming Kid Flash. I really enjoyed seeing what a big impression Wally made on Barry right from the start. You really can't blame him for thinking Barry is dull especially when Barry doesn't reveal his ID and spends more time with him as Flash. Any corny Silver Age bit (like Wally just happening to gain the same powers as Barry says it's impossible) is hinted at being more complex than we first realize. It's not easy for Wally, in fact he goes through some emotional moments, yet he's still able to work through it in his own way.

The story with Aquaman was alright although it didn't quite get into his character that much. I do like that Wally has a public identity which cuts out the clichés when dealing with civilians. There's a story with Wally going to the future and deciding whether he's going to help his enemy that's fun. It didn't matter what era people were from in 90's time travel, the fashion usually remains the same. Anyway I found the Rogues issue to be really fascinating since their personal ethics and feelings towards the speedsters are discussed. In general their really on of the best group of enemies because of the way they operate.

Unfortunately the trade ends on a cliff hanger and the next TPB doesn't pick up on it. Starting with Waid was a good choice as for Wally I do like him although he's not on my list of favorites quite yet. I do have some catching up to do to get more of a feel for his character.

No comments:

Post a Comment