Monday, July 30, 2018

Deathstroke #34 Preview

Featuring a family photo of the bat boys. The first time I've seen Jason in one since he became Red Hood.


SPOILERS AHEAD

This is the arc that's questioning who Damian' s dad is. I have some questions of my own because I find some of this confusing.

This arc is placed when everyone thought Tim was dead in DET. They search through his things and find a picture with Dick, Jason, Tim, Duke and Damian posing in front of the clock that leads to the bat cave. I honestly have no idea if Duke is considered a son of Bruce like the others. I heard he wasn't depicted as one under Snyder. Is he adopted? Was he close enough to the others for this family picture?

I saw a comment about the girls not being in the picture but I don't think most of them are close to Cass and Steph. Last I checked Barbara only seemed to like Dick and Tim. Except when Tynion made it look like she was close to Damian.

While I'm thrilled that Jason is in such a picture the timing seems off. Jason has shown reluctance to be too close to the others and doesn't seem to think their family. Sure Alfred could have suggested it but it doesn't look spur of the moment since everyone except Duke seems to be wearing VERY similar outfits.

It is Tim's copy that he has blown up and framed. Why did he feel the need to scrawl all of their names including his own? If Slade sent Bruce that photo through the mail that would be one thing. Did everyone sign Tim's copy including himself? I can't say my family has ever done that which is why this seems odd to me.

Is Damian blaming the fact Tim disliked him on Dick firing him to make Damian Robin? At the time Damian made it worse with his own behavior which included him taunting the fact Tim was fired and telling him there was an opening as Batgirl. Dick brings up the fact Damian tried to kill Tim and he retcons it as Tim not being good enough since Damian claims he didn't try to kill him. Except he did. I remember him even saying that was how he was raised in the LOA. He purposely attacked Tim by using a ruse.

One of the rumors I've heard said Tim was going to be villainized by how he behaves towards Damian. To the point he's saying some truly horrendous things. Which (if true) isn't apparently an idea Priest came up with but rather someone who claims Tim is his favorite character. It's a huge mess of a story. Rumors are rumors until proven otherwise but I'm wondering if Damians' own flaws are being retconned to make him more of the victim and Tim more of a bully.

I love Bruce telling Damian that he is his son but I wish he'd try being like this with his other kids.

4 comments:

  1. no the picture thing is actually common the only thing is it would have the name on the back of the picture or if it was a Polaroid at the bottom and tim would have been me. jason being in pictures if it's among tim thing's are actually true to form bruce have a selfie of the boy's at his office along side his professionally done pics. I think someone just snap a photo of them hang around togather and dick had it blown up they been searching through tim room and found the picture.

    the Damian and Tim drama actually playing out like it did in red robin pre-52 it just now Damian finding out how mad Tim was at him.Tim reveal that he was the robin in the video hair was around the time dick fired him and Bruce was missing so everything is accurate. Damian isn't playing the victim right now he was hurt when he found out Tim put him on the hit list and he's hurt now that Tim didn't like him Damian always wanted Tim approval it just doesn't show well.

    Have you notice this is a Tim story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've seen it on the back. Mostly for other family members who haven't met for years or to remember who was who as kids. Not like this. You mean Bruce's recent pictures of the boys? This is the first I've heard of one being done with Jason and the family since he came back.

      It feels off to me for the reasons I listed above. Granted we don't know what the artist was told and this isn't a main bat book. Priest admitted he doesn't closely follow a lot of books.

      I don't know if I buy Damian just finding out about Tim's issues with him since he purposely tried to get under Tim's skin. Damian is acting like he didn't play a bigger role in Tim's dislike of him. Both of them had their jerk moments, I'm not denying that, but Damian holds more responsible than he's admitting.

      The victim remark is me wondering if that's what happening in regards to the rumor I heard. Regardless he seems to be implying it's Dick' s fault and denying he tried to kill Tim then blaming the injury on Tim.

      If you're talking about the video I have to take your word for it. I'm just making comments on the preview I haven't read the arc since I dislike Deathstroke.

      Delete
  2. none of the photo's of jason with the boys in deathstroke series has been done professionally tim took the one bruce has in his office and this one looks like they had a gathering or someone said smile and just took the picture these are just random photos of the family that only one of them have i say the picture bruce has in his office was posted online of the boys. this is the second photo of jason with the boys and the first with duke in it.

    what i mean of a tim story is everything is set in motion from damian point of view by tim,he is the one driving damian motivation to find out whats real and not.

    i will say this about the arc it feel more family oriented than the batman books do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, it sounded like it was just Tim's copy in the preview. Still kinda odd to me but not as confusing as it previously seemed. So the other pictures have just appeared in this series. I guess no one's noticed them before because this photo is a big deal online.

      It sounds like the video is Tim's POV of the father situation at least.

      Delete