Monday, July 23, 2018

Random comic related thoughts

There was a lot of news over the week and additional thoughts I didn't want to separate into different entries.

Potential SPOILER for my opinion on a plots' direction


Titans show- I've never been really interested in this partially because other superhero shows have disappointed me. I wish people would stop harassing actors it's not right to treat people like that. As for the show, I never saw the trailer and the one thing that interested me (Jason) already sounds like it's messed up.


Shazam- This was a fun trailer, it's funny but he seems like more of a kid in his superhero form than as a kid. Lighthearted and entertaining in all the right ways. Freddie was great, ALL the actors were great. I'm looking forward to it.


Aquaman- I wasn't feeling this trailer. I didn't see the JL movie so maybe I missed something with the characterizations. Also the bully trope triggering superhero stuff in origins seems really played out watching these two back to back.


Heroes In Crisis- Nothing I've seen or heard about this series gives me much hope. In fact I'm more worried than ever for Roy since his appearance in the "confessional" page kind of confirms his death for me. I might cover all the rumors I've heard minus the debunked ones BC called out elsewhere.

Three Jokers- I was hoping for Jason, Bruce and Barbara to FINALLY talk about their traumas with each other since I don't think they have. Unless I missed something when I dropped BE. It might be something like one issue for each of them and a Joker. But if it's written well--especially the Jason part--then I'll be happy to get it.


DC Collectables Essentials VS. Mattel' s Multiverse - I don't think many viewed DCC that favorably this year. Their rehashing the same characters instead of branching out and this is already few wave in. Batgirl has a uniform (Burnside) that not only has a few figures based on it already but will be outdated by the time it's released for this line. The proportions are off, the scale is bigger, the sculpts vary and there still doesn't appear to be any accessories. Icons has its problem and it seems like it would have been the perfect direction if they fix their issues.

Mattel has had their own problems with their DC lines but they seem to be learning. While some would prefer old school designs to the Rebirth looks (not me for the most part) they have a good selection of characters. Any rehashed characters have different versions (Batman Gaslight), styles they haven't done before (Rebirth Wonder Woman) or new sculpting to improve upon (Batman Beyond.) In Starfire' s case their doing a better figure since their previous one was a cost effective one wasn't so great. What's not shown is mentioned at panels like Flash Wally West having silver lightening effects and they mention in the Red Hood part that they wanted to make one base on a fan's request.

We don't have the proof of either' s final results yet but so far I'm preferring Mattel's work especially since we're getting extras.


Mezco 12 One- I'm going to give a couple previous figures a try but these are really pricey. And I'm not a fan of the many variants and limited character selection.


Star Wars- I'm pleased to see the Solo line is still being made and the Rebels characters being produced. There's a lot to be done in this franchise.


I'm still skimming through panel information but there really doesn't seem to be much comic book related stuff to talk about this year.

2 comments:

  1. Re:Three Jokers. I really hope Jason gets his fair share of spotlight, but with how much "it's a Joker story" and "Batman and Joker's relationship" I have seen being tossed around, I have some worries that, again, Jason and Barbara will be sidelined because hey, it's Batman's pain first and foremost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll give Johns a little more credit than King or Tynion for past work he's done. They changed one of the Jokers (the Snyder one) to ensure each one of the leads has "their" Joker. They didn't have to do that or include Babs or Jason to make it completely about Bruce. I might be wrong but I'm willing to give it a chance. I don't think I'd read it if one of the Eternal writers did it.

      Delete