Thursday, July 19, 2018

John's shares information on The Three Jokers

I'm a little unclear if the Black Label will connect with the main canon. I was  under the impression that it doesn't but this storyline was introduced in the main DCU. This is briefly touched on but I'm still a little confused.


Johns shared a look at Fabok’s first cover for the three-issue miniseries, which the writer described as “a grounded, emotional story about the mystery of the Joker… it will focus on Bruce, Barbara and Jason.” Johns promised, that while the book will be part of the Black Label imprint, it will still have elements that take place in the main DC Universe continuity.


I admit this sounds much, much better than I thought it would. I'm still worried about how the story will come about but I like that something tackles how these three relate to Joker. I'm guessing that he means it will be vague canon like Morrison's runs, some of it happened but not everything is consider canon?



“I’ve never really done a Batman story beyond Batman: Earth One, and if I’m going to tell a Batman story, I want it to be amazing and cool and something no one’s ever seen before. This is a story about the shared pain between Bruce and Barbara and Jason and the way that some scars heal wrong and some heal right,” Johns said. “I think of this as a Joker story.


I've liked work Johns has done in the past but I've also noticed flaws that do bother me. He really didn't get Wonder Woman, completely changed Superboy, etc. He's written Jason but it wasn't quite right. Johns got facts wrong that furthered the victim blaming with Jason like claiming Raven tried to help Jason with his anger. When Jason worked with the TT he was never the angry one, in fact he snapped RAVEN out of her funk to get her to save her own mother's life.

This makes me very worried even if I'm very exited by the story idea. I want Jason, Bruce and Barbara to deal with their pain. But I don't like the implication that some wounds heal right or wrong. Not when it sounds like another way to say how great Babs and Bruce are while showing that Jason is in the wrong. Maybe it will be different but this is just my gut feeling. Also Johns, don't spoil the jokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment