Friday, July 13, 2018

How Heroes In Crisis came about

I heard that this King interview mentioned Booster and skimmed it to get to that part.



Based on the cover, it looks like Booster Gold and Harley Quinn will play a big role in Heroes in Crisis. Why did you pick those two characters? 

They’re the two stars of the book along with the Trinity. I do this comic called Mister Miracle, which I really like. The way Mister Miracle started was me going to [co-publisher] Dan DiDio and asking him, “I want to do something amazing with a character, but you have to give me some room to do some stuff, and you pick the character.” He picked Mister Miracle and that’s how that started. It’s unoriginal, but I wanted to repeat that success. 

So when I came up with this Heroes in Crisis idea, I went back to Dan and said, “Can we do this again? Give me two heroes, I’m going to put them through the ringer and at the end we’re going redefine them to be central to the DCU, pillars of this universe.” And the two he gave me were Booster Gold and Harley Quinn. I think they’re perfect because they’re almost two sides of the same coin. They’re both, like, these manic dreamers who have made huge mistakes and come back from them. They’re kind of these survivors.


We have Didio to thank for pulling Booster Gold into this mess. According to something else I read (I honestly can't remember if it was a quote or one of the recent rumors) King wanted the event to be about heroes healing but Didio demanded to have it molded after Identity Crisis. I know it's been compared to IC in a video. Didio himself has made plenty of poor choices or tried to make things darker in the DCU.

I've talked about my feelings on King writing Booster. None of it makes sense to me and I doubt it will. I'm still stuck on why Bane has Skeets working for him and if he knows about time travel why he's wasting the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment