Thursday, August 11, 2011

How to purchase comics during DCnU?

I wonder how the relaunch will be received in the first month. I vaguely remember how insane it was during the Death of Superman (before I was really into comics but my sister was.) Everyone was picking up as many Super-related comics at my LCSs as they could get. Will it be like that? Bigger? Or will people be driven away? When I went shopping yesterday I set out to get three comics, two tpbs and a Damian Wayne figure. Two of the items I was looking for weren't there but it took me ages to look for my stuff because of the guys blocking the aisles. 

Before I went to this store I never seen so many customers getting such huge stacks. I'm not exaggerating when I say their piles looked like they were getting half of the comics released this month. I have come across readers that have big pull list online but it's still mind blowing to see it in person. I don't think my collecting ever reached those heights because only a handful of books interest me and I don't have that kind of money. Trying out seven of the upcoming books is sort of a big thing for me. 

I don't really go to my new LCS often because it is slightly out of the way. But while glancing at my new pull list lo and behold I have books coming out every week. That's never happened to me before, usually I wait for the less desired books and pick them up at the same time I get Booster or a mini series. The year of the Booster did change this some since there was one ongoing, a bi-weekly max series and a mini. But half of that I still had to wait for. 

Still, I want to be excited about this relaunch and see other fans reactions and I want to read the books asap. So I'm thinking about coming in each week. The book I'm least excited about, Captain Atom, happens to be released the same week as two of my other books. I might make a bigger deal about reviewing than I normally do when I get to them. 

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm...hard to say. I would imagine that DC would LIKE the new relaunch to be a huge success...but I have my doubts. Still, there are a number of books that I'm looking forward to, a bunch that I will sorely miss, and some that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite disagreeing with a number of their choice I really do think their trying to make this a success. Same here, there's even a few books not on my list that I'm interested in but was unsure about. I will miss a bunch of books and relationships from the normal DCU. But there are some things I'm not willing to try like the new--or rather old--Batgirl. I'm just not interested in that.

    ReplyDelete