Monday, September 21, 2015

Superhero vs. Superhero

One of the old classics in comics that keeps coming back. Some might even say it's overused in events like Civil War. There's usually a disagreement, misunderstand or the villains force them to battle. Whether it's a good trope depends greatly on the writers execution. Most tend to turn these into a popularity contest (at least on forums) when other factors should be at play.

It varies whether I like these fights. They can be fun or a waste of time. If I'm honest I do kind of cringe when I hear about an impeding fight because my first thought is whether it will be written out of character. Whether or not a fight's even necessary for the story. In some cases you know what to expect which makes it pretty boring.

I think the only fights I ever looked forward to were Tim vs. Damian. Who I rooted for changed based on how it was written and their interaction is engaging. Now I don't think Damian should ever win against any of his adopted brothers but I could feel for him. I like that Tim actually calls Damian out on the crap he does. I can't say I'm excited by the prospect of anyone else fighting unless Bruce and a particular someone are humbled. I don't like the idea of some of the family going at it and some fights would be too predictable or biased for certain writers.

2 comments:

  1. I would be for Robin fighting if it were thumb wrestling or something. Of course seeing Hal get hit in the head is also always gratifying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to see the Robins horsing around and acting like brothers. It's always fun to see Hal getting hit especially if it's in a silly like him slipping.

    ReplyDelete